Saturday, August 21, 2010

A Fresh Start


Hello world.

Apologies everyone. My extended break from blogging has been unplanned, but necessary. Long story cut short. A business trip to China, a bout of illnesses and a mountain of work later, I'm back.

Breakfast is without a doubt my favourite weekend meal. Growing up, Sunday was the only day the whole family could get together for breakfast. Dad was running his business 6 days per week 7am to 7pm and weekdays were always full of school and tuition activities.

Kopitiams (Malaysian cafes) were aplenty in Ipoh but we usually went to a handful of favourites. The kopitiam selling double boiled duck leg in superior stock. The kopitiam selling thick curry with flat rice noodle. The kopitiam selling wonton noodles with char siew. The kopitiam selling the best Ipoh chicken rice noodles and delicious char koay teow.

Now that I no longer live with my family, breakfast takes another form. An ideal one would be having a hearty breakfast while reading the newspaper and sipping a good mocha in a cafe. Or cooking something simple like pancakes at home. There are many recipes that promise fluffier pancakes by beating the eggwhites separately, but I can't be bothered this time. This recipe is very easy and the end products satisfyingly good.

Mix 1 cup of self-raising flour, 1 tbps of sugar, 2 tsp of baking powder, a pinch of salt together in a mixing bowl. Then add 1 beaten egg, 1 cup of milk, 2 tsp of vanilla extract and 2 tbps of vegetable oil. Mix ingredients together. Then heat a non-stick pan over medium heat. Ladle batter onto pan (no extra oil required) and cook until one side starts to bubble. Flip and cook the other side.

Serve with anything you like. We have them with passionfruit butter and pear jam from the Hawkesbury region and St Dalfour's black cherry jam from Woolies.

Next posts: Shanghai, now one of my favourite cities in the world.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

10 comment(s):

Anonymous August 21, 2010 at 9:20 AM  

Welcome back! Would love to have some pancakes but Sunday morning brekkie at ipoh kopitiam still my favourite-brings back memory!
p.s dont forget to invite your friends for brekkie next time...
Look forward to your Shanghai foodie blog...

Angie Lives to Eat (and Cook)! August 21, 2010 at 1:25 PM  

Welcome back! You have been missed in the blogosphere =) Pancakes are such simple pleasures too! I love my fluffy buttermilk pancakes.

Kitchen Butterfly August 21, 2010 at 7:13 PM  

Gorgeous photos. Welcome back....having a break is often good for the soul :-). LOL

shaz August 21, 2010 at 8:36 PM  

Welcome back! Been wondering where you'd been.Pancakes are such a wonderful weekend ritual, although I must admit I prefer crepes.

OohLookBel August 21, 2010 at 11:18 PM  

Missed you! Love the stack of fluffy pancakes, so perfect for the weekend.

Phuoc'n Delicious August 23, 2010 at 12:00 AM  

Hi Miss Foodwink!! Welcome back, we've missed you. I don't tend to have breaky in the morning as I'm too busy to rush out the door or try to catch a few extra minutes of zzzz. But I think I should make the extra effort (when Spring comes...) :P

Gastronomy Gal August 23, 2010 at 5:32 PM  

Welcome back

foodwink August 23, 2010 at 11:33 PM  

Thanks Anonymous! I'll invite you over if you tell me who you are.

Thanks Angie - Buttermilk pancakes? That's an idea for next weekend!

Thanks Kitchen Butterfly. Great to hear from you.

Awwww Shaz, thanks for thinking of me. Love crepes too!

Thanks Bel, I feel loved <3

Thanks Miss Phuoc. I understand the importance of that extra 5 or 20 mins extra sleep! Brekky on work days for me is a humble ham sandwich - takes 5 mins max!

Thanks Gastronomy Gal!

Celia @ Fig Jam and Lime Cordial August 24, 2010 at 8:11 PM  

Yaaaay, she's back! You've been sorely missed, Wink! :)

foodwink August 28, 2010 at 12:18 AM  

Hi Celia - your words mean a lot to me. Thank you for the encouragement.

About foodwink

foodwink is written by a Sydneysider to catalog memories related to food, travel and anything in between. Email: foodwink [@] g m a i l [.] c o m.

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 2.5 Australia License.

Creative Commons License

Cool People

  © 2010 copyright foodwink. photoblog template edited by foodwink.

Back to TOP