Monday, March 29, 2010

What I ate in Ipoh

food ipoh malaysia

Ipoh is the lesser-known food capital of Malaysia. There are two things you must eat here: flat rice noodles (hor fun) and bean sprouts (nga choi).


food ipoh malaysia

L-R: Char koay teow (flat rice noodles stir-fried with prawns, cockles, egg and bean sprout). Kai see hor fun (flat rice noodles with poached chicken strips). Hor fun tossed in thick curry sauce. Soup yellow noodles.

food ipoh malaysia

L-R: Glutinous rice with chicken curry. Chee cheong fun (steamed flat rice noodles). Hainanese chicken rice with poached and roast chicken. Mah geok (literally "horse shoes"), i.e. deep-fried Chinese breadstick with sesame seeds.

food ipoh malaysia

L-R: Ais kacang (shaved ice with red bean, peanuts, cendol etc) and "Wan tau long" (shaved ice with lime jelly and lemon juice). Rojak (fruits and crackers tossed in a thick shrimp paste sauce). Nasi pandan (rice flavoured with pandan juice) with sambal prawns, chicken curry and fried egg. "Hor hee" (flat rice noodles in soup with fish balls, fish cakes and fish paste enveloped in wrapper made from fish paste).

food ipoh malaysia

L-R: Popiah (stir-fried jicama, bean sprouts and tofu wrapped in wafer-thin skin). Charcoal-grilled chicken satay with peanut sauce. Hor fun tossed in thick curry sauce (again!). This time with deep-fried "liew" - including fish paste wrapped in beancurd skin, fish paste wrapped in wonton wrappers or jicama wrapped in beancurd skin, then deep-fried.

food ipoh malaysia

L-R: Chai tou koay (daikon radish cake stir-fried with preserved radish, garlic and egg then topped with chopped spring onion). Ipoh's famous nga choi (bean sprouts, blanched and served with soy sauce). Kai chap (a variety of chicken innards). White-cut poached chicken.

food ipoh malaysia

L-R: Takeaway dou fu fah (sweet beancurd). Muah chee (steamed glutinous rice flour served with chopped peanuts). Nasi lemak (rice cooked in coconut milk served with chicken curry, deep-fried anchovies, egg, cucumber and sambal). And lastly, mom's "ji mah jou" (red bean filling wrapped in glutinous flour dough, then coated with sesame seeds and deep-fried).

I'm hungry all over again.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

11 comment(s):

JT @ areyouhungary March 30, 2010 at 7:48 AM  

Oh drool....I still remember my first Ipoh hor fun!

OohLookBel March 30, 2010 at 12:51 PM  

Did you actually eat all that? *Gasp!* After admiring your fortitude, I admired the lovely colours and flavours of the food; it looks gorgeous.

Celia @ Fig Jam and Lime Cordial March 30, 2010 at 8:10 PM  

Stop, stop, you're making me starving!! :D

Simon Leong March 31, 2010 at 12:13 AM  

oh wow looks all too yummy! my stomach would be going crazy! :-)

Amy @ cookbookmaniac March 31, 2010 at 4:26 AM  

Oh my goodness. I declared myself full just a minute ago and now looking at those pics I'm hungry again!

milo March 31, 2010 at 11:55 PM  

beautiful post!! Everything looks delicious. PS you must be very full now!

Cheryl April 1, 2010 at 11:10 PM  

Oh wow, this is a mini food fest. I was born in Ipoh, but bred in PJ. Don't think I've tried even half of what you have :) Yums! The things I would do for a hot bowl of Ipoh hor fun right now....

Phuoc'n Delicious April 2, 2010 at 12:42 AM  

So much food... Mmmm..

john@heneedsfod.com April 4, 2010 at 8:49 AM  

Wish I was there to try all of this delicious food!

billy @ a table for two April 5, 2010 at 8:43 AM  

me!!! Ipoh Mali!!!! hahahahah
oh my god, I think you have pretty much covered all the must-eat in Ipoh! I cant wait till my turn in May!

foodwink April 5, 2010 at 11:56 AM  

Hi JT - Nothing beats (the real) Ipoh hor fun - smooth, silky and paper thin.

Hi Belle - Uhmm, yes. Please don't judge me :D

Hi Celia - Haha, that's the point!

Hi Simon - Isn't it? I'd be happy living on these dishes for the rest of my life :D

Hi Amy - Tee hee, I'm glad that I get my revenge. Your blog always makes me hungry :D

Hi Milo - Thanks for dropping by. Hehe, I like my holiday to be fooductive :D

Hi Cheryl - Yay, another Ipohan! Yes, I'm ignoring the fact that you're PJ bred. Please please head over to Ipoh for these gems the next time you're home :D

Hi Phuoc - Hmmm, I've got more pics of other food that I've eaten in Ipoh :)

Hi John - And I wish they are more accessible in Sydney.

Hi Billy - Wow, nice to know that you're also Ipoh Mali! Have a great food-filled trip back home in May. And please eat lots of hor fun and sah kok for me.

About foodwink

foodwink is written by a Sydneysider to catalog memories related to food, travel and anything in between. Email: foodwink [@] g m a i l [.] c o m.

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 2.5 Australia License.

Creative Commons License

Cool People

  © 2010 copyright foodwink. photoblog template edited by foodwink.

Back to TOP