Monday, September 13, 2010

Herbs from My Garden



I am happy to announce that my garden has survived my black thumb the winter. Apart from my abundant harvest of one (yes, singular) apple and three oranges, herbs like Italian parsley, rosemary and thyme are aplenty.

Italian parsley ends up in a no-fuss pesto recipe. Pine nuts, lightly toasted, blended with parsley leaves. Some olive oil and a bit of salt later, it's ready to be mixed with your favourite pasta. The intense green colour might scare off some people but I think it's chlorophylly good.



Rosemary is used as a perfume for two large butternut pumpkins I bought from Sydney's Flemington Market some weeks ago. Just deseed the pumpkins and cut them up into large chunks, skin intact. Add some sea salt, rosemary and olive oil and roast them in the oven at 200 degrees Celcius. To turn the deliciously sweet roasted pumpkins into soup, simply blend them with one litre of chicken stock.

So, has your garden survived the winter?

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

12 comment(s):

shaz September 13, 2010 at 11:48 PM  

Oh I am so envious! My garden has survived the winter but not sure if it will survive the $%^& possum that tries to eat everything! Yummy looking pesto.
( Btw - do you have a "proper" sized apple tree or a dwarf? I'm asking cos I'm thinking about getting a dwarf one but not sure how it'd go.)

foodwink September 14, 2010 at 7:05 AM  

Hi shaz - thanks for dropping by! Mine's just a dwarf one. It's low maintenance but doesn't fruit as much. That explains the one apple :)

JT @areyouhungary September 14, 2010 at 9:31 AM  

Ah - mine survived too -this is the first winter it did so. I just made a ton of pesto on the weekend on what was rocket growing out of control and basil going to seed. I'd love the space for apple trees though, even a dwarf one.

OohLookBel September 14, 2010 at 11:39 AM  

Very nice effort with your gardening! The only thing flourishing in my garden at the moment is catnip - and only because the cat is avoiding it like the plague.

Helen (Grab Your Fork) September 14, 2010 at 12:53 PM  

Parsley pesto sounds fantastic, and with herbs from your own garden? Nothing could be tastier :)

Sydney Shop Girl September 14, 2010 at 5:42 PM  

What beautiful looking herbs!!

SSG xxx

Forager @ The Gourmet Forager September 14, 2010 at 9:33 PM  

Impressed with your prowess! My pot plants are alive, but my disastrous run with bonsais continues. 2 on the brink with only prayers & hocus pocus keeping them going now. I can grow rosemary though. It's hardy and forgiving.

pierre September 15, 2010 at 6:05 AM  

as always beautiful photos Bravo Pierre

Celia @ Fig Jam and Lime Cordial September 15, 2010 at 6:48 PM  

I love how your photos can make your small bunch of herbs look greener and lusher than most people's gardens, Wink! :)

shaz September 15, 2010 at 10:50 PM  

Thanks! Ok, definitely going to get one for next year :)

Heidi - Apples Under My Bed September 20, 2010 at 11:06 PM  

That soup looks sublime! I don't have a garden :( my little apartment doesn't allow for much. I cannot wait until I can have fresh basil of my own, though!

Jenny October 29, 2010 at 4:50 PM  

Mmm yum, your pumpkin soup looks delicious!

We’d love it if you would post this recipe or one of your other favourite healthy recipes on our Facebook page, including a link to your blog of course. :)

http://www.facebook.com/HealthyEatingAU

Cheers,

Jenny from Healthy Eating Australia

About foodwink

foodwink is written by a Sydneysider to catalog memories related to food, travel and anything in between. Email: foodwink [@] g m a i l [.] c o m.

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 2.5 Australia License.

Creative Commons License

Cool People

  © 2010 copyright foodwink. photoblog template edited by foodwink.

Back to TOP