Sunday, January 17, 2010

Thyme After Thyme


I'm so glad that the thyme in my backyard has so far survived my black thumb. Despite the demise of its former neighbours - chilli, basil, coriander and parsley - it is still (miraculously) blooming.  So, when I was planning lunch for my close friends one day, it was easy to decide on this dish.


Roast Quails with Thyme and Lemon
6 x quails
1 bunch x thyme (bruised)
1 x lemon (zest only)
4 cloves x garlic (grated)
olive oil
salt and pepper

1. Clean and butterfly quails. Marinate with thyme, lemon zest, garlic, olive oil (for crispy skin), salt and pepper. Leave overnight.
2. Pre-heat oven to about 180 degree celcius.
3. Sear quails in a pan until golden brown, about 3 minutes on each side.
4. Place quails in the oven, skin side up, for about 20 minutes.
5. Serve on a bed of blanched asparagus.

I'm a bad recipe writer, I know. But good luck anyway!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

10 comment(s):

Y January 17, 2010 at 7:41 PM  

Those roasted quails look fantastic! I've never had much luck with thyme unfortunately. To say it 'survives' on my balcony, is to be too generous and kind.

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella January 17, 2010 at 8:50 PM  

I've been wondering if I should grill some quail as I saw some quail the other day that looked great. Thanks for the recipe! My thyme survived well too unlike the coriander which pretty much died straight away! :(

PhotoVentura January 17, 2010 at 9:19 PM  

ooh! I really like the look of your blog!! I'll subscribe via RSS and eagerly await your posts! Did you design your template yourself, or is it available on Blogger?? I love how your photos fill the screen - all the better to enjoy your beautiful images.

PS, Hi Lorraine NQN, yes coriander bolts to seed the minute you turn your back on a hot day!

Helen (Grab Your Fork) January 17, 2010 at 9:21 PM  

I think short and easy recpes are the best kind of all :) Yours look very tasty! Love your blog design too.

foodwink January 17, 2010 at 10:54 PM  

Thanks very much gals - much much appreciated from a new blogger.

@Y - please do give thyme another go. If I can do it,anyone CAN (trust me)! Or I can send you some by post, LOL.

@Lorraine - thanks for your comments. My coriander died before I got to use it as well :(

@Kyle - many thanks for your lovely comments. As for the template, I'm using Photoblog II (http://www.ourblogtemplates.com/2008/07/blogger-template-photoblog-ii.html), which I've edited to accommodate larger photos (set to width = "810px").

@grabyourfork - thanks for the encouragement. love your blog too.

Anonymous January 18, 2010 at 1:59 PM  

Beautiful photo pairing! What kind of camera do you use?

Please keep blogging :)

foodwink January 18, 2010 at 9:02 PM  

Hi Anonymous - thanks for your kind comments! I'm using Nikon D60, mostly (ok, 99.9% of the time) in automatic mode.

Peter G | Souvlaki For The Soul January 20, 2010 at 12:33 AM  

Quails and thyme sound like a great pairing. I agree with Helen. Short recipes are the best!

OohLookBel January 20, 2010 at 3:05 PM  

Like meetings, a short recipe is a good recipe!
PS: I'm enjoying your writing and photos a lot.

foodwink January 20, 2010 at 11:49 PM  

Thanks Peter and Belle :) I'm not good at following recipes, so I think I'll stay with short ones.

About foodwink

foodwink is written by a Sydneysider to catalog memories related to food, travel and anything in between. Email: foodwink [@] g m a i l [.] c o m.

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 2.5 Australia License.

Creative Commons License

Cool People

  © 2010 copyright foodwink. photoblog template edited by foodwink.

Back to TOP