Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Easy Peasy Canapés



Entertaining made easy.

BLT BEST vol au vents - Fill shop-bought vol au vents with egg mayonnaise. Decorate with cherry tomato, pan-fried bacon pieces and spinach leaves.

Grilled scallops - Add a tiny amount of butter and a mixture of soy, grated ginger and mirin (Japanese cooking wine) to scallops. Grill in oven at 190 degrees for a few minutes.

Fresh sea urchin on mini toasts - Uhm, as mentioned. Serve with a tiny amount of cream cheese and dill.

Roast duck witlof sang choy bao - Stir fry diced (shop-bought) roast duck meat with diced shitake mushroom, cabbage and carrot. Add oyster sauce and pepper to taste. Serve with witlof leaves.



Enjoy!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

18 comment(s):

missklicious April 14, 2010 at 6:49 PM  

I love eating canapes! These look really yum and easy to make too.

Emma April 14, 2010 at 8:49 PM  

mmmm... these look absolutely beautiful! I have bookmarked this so I can give it a try next time I host a dinner party (.. whenever that day may be that I scramble together some baby-free time!).
PS. I saw you on SSG's blog and am your newest follower. :)

Phuoc'n Delicious April 14, 2010 at 9:31 PM  

Ooooo fantastic work! I love the presentation of the duck san choy bao.

JT @ areyouhungary April 15, 2010 at 7:35 AM  

Great work, the witlof is such a good idea for sang choy bow!

Sydney Shop Girl April 15, 2010 at 8:25 AM  

Just beautiful, foodwink.

Second the high praise of your witlof usage.

I have just seen an ad for the Good Food & Wine Show. It is cheaper than the Iron Chef thingy. Alas, there do not seem to be any British chefs on the rota this year.

SSG xxx

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella April 15, 2010 at 1:44 PM  

I love finger food at parties (I think that anything small is automatically calorie negative :P ). Those vol au vents look fantastic!

Angie Lives to Eat (and Cook)! April 15, 2010 at 11:36 PM  

I'd love to come to your party thanks! ;)

billy@atablefortwo April 16, 2010 at 2:05 AM  

That roast duck san choy bao looks like a blooming lotus! So beautifully presented! Bravo!

Celia @ Fig Jam and Lime Cordial April 16, 2010 at 5:49 AM  

Easy, but outrageously gorgeous! Very clever, thanks Wink - these are the quality you'd see at a fine dining event!

Anh April 16, 2010 at 11:20 PM  

Cool ideas! I like the witlof presentation!! Looks very very pretty.

Y April 17, 2010 at 7:15 AM  

Yum, love this collection of canape ideas. Don't quote me on this, but I could quite possibly eat sea urchin on anything.

Jen (jenius.com.au) April 17, 2010 at 9:45 AM  

I absolutely love the presentation of the duck sang choy bao! Hosting a party is always hard when you have to juggle cooking but these look so easy to make! Fab entertaining ideas :)

Amy @ cookbookmaniac April 17, 2010 at 4:59 PM  

The vol au vents are a great idea! They are so easy and impressive. I'm bookmarking this page. Thanks!

OohLookBel April 17, 2010 at 11:28 PM  

It's always so much harder to make canapes compared to an actual meal, I think. So fiddly. You've made it look easy - and gorgeous. Can I come to your next party? :)

Two fit and fun gals April 22, 2010 at 9:35 AM  

they look great especially the scallops i never thought to chuck them in the oven..

and the roast duck thing looks so pretty, florally :)

Gastronomy Gal April 22, 2010 at 2:54 PM  

scallops look amazing- I have some frozen scallops waiting to be cooked and this looks to be the perfect recipe.

Anton Ng April 26, 2010 at 2:34 PM  

oh i remember this. all are yum!!

Anonymous June 4, 2013 at 3:06 PM  

Cool! I have to make canapes for school and these ones look good... apart from the fact I'm vegetarian, vomit in the site of tomatos, and don't eat fish and chicken... otherwise great! :D

About foodwink

foodwink is written by a Sydneysider to catalog memories related to food, travel and anything in between. Email: foodwink [@] g m a i l [.] c o m.

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 2.5 Australia License.

Creative Commons License

Cool People

  © 2010 copyright foodwink. photoblog template edited by foodwink.

Back to TOP