Friday, April 9, 2010

Steamed Crab with Glutinous Rice in Lotus Leaves

steamed crab Glutinous Rice Lotus Leaves

$20 per kg live mud crabs are simply irresistable. Non?

This recipe is incredibly simple and takes less than an hour to prepare. The idea is to infuse the glutinous rice with juices from the crab and the faint scent of the lotus leaves.

You will need:
- One large mud crab, about 1.1 kg
- Two large lotus leaves, first soaked in hot water for about 20 minutes. -- Dried ones are available from Asian grocers.
- One lap cheong or Chinese sausage, diced (available from Chinese BBQ shops).
- Dried shrimps, soaked for 10 minutes then roughly chopped (also from Asian grocers).
- Some spring onions, cut into batons
- Three cups of glutinous rice, soaked in water overnight
- A bamboo steamer basket
- Soy sauce
- ShaoXing cooking wine
- Sugar, salt and pepper to taste

steamed crab Glutinous Rice Lotus Leaves

Steps (roughly!):

1. Clean crab and marinate with 2-3 tbps of cooking wine.
2. Clean soaked lotus leaves and line steamer basket with leaves.
3. Place soaked glutinous rice on the leaves. Wrap rice with leaves and steam for 20-30 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, heat pan to fry diced lap cheong. No cooking oil is required.
5. Add about the same amount of chopped dried shrimps to pan. Fry until fragrant. Add soy sauce (about 2 tbps), sugar and pepper to mixture.
6. Transfer fried lap cheong and dried shrimps onto steamed glutinous rice.
7. Add spring onions.
8. Place crab on spring onions and rice mixture. Wrap with lotus leaves and steam for another 5-10 minutes.
9. Attack!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

15 comment(s):

Amy @ cookbookmaniac April 9, 2010 at 4:07 AM  

Wonderful layout for the photos. Love mud crabs too. So juicy.

Celia @ Fig Jam and Lime Cordial April 9, 2010 at 5:06 AM  

Fantastic! Thanks Wink. Though how do you "dispatch crab"? In freezer, or with a big knife?

Sydney Shop Girl April 9, 2010 at 8:37 AM  

foodwink
Thank you!! Love the layout too.

I am still afraid of crabs.

Might have to improvise with chicken.

SSG xxx

Simon Leong April 9, 2010 at 8:45 AM  

sounds like a great recipe. i've never heard of wrapping crab in lotus leaf and steaming.

chocolatesuze April 9, 2010 at 1:38 PM  

dude that looks amazing argh now im so hungry

Jen (jenius.com.au) April 9, 2010 at 4:37 PM  

Oh my goodness, mud crab!!! I love eating them but I don't think I'd cope with cooking a live one, especially if eyes like those are staring back at me!

Y April 10, 2010 at 7:02 AM  

That looks ridiculously tasty. Has all my favourite foods on the one plate!

OohLookBel April 10, 2010 at 10:30 PM  

Your 'polaroids' are very cool! I think I would love mud crabs if I weren't allergic to them. Maybe I could try this yummy recipe with scallops instead.

Phuoc'n Delicious April 11, 2010 at 5:58 PM  

I'm loving the recipe collage you've put together; great idea! I love crab but have never looked it before.. I would like to try this out one day. Mmmm...

linda April 13, 2010 at 2:30 PM  

I was thinking of getting crabs for lunch on Sunday. I love this idea of serving it with glutinous rice in lotus leaves. Sounds awesome. $20/kg, you can't go wrong

Trissa April 13, 2010 at 4:01 PM  

You are killing me here - I miss Chinese food right now. That looks amazing. Where did you get crabs for 20 bucks??

cherylthinktank April 14, 2010 at 10:16 PM  

This looks amazing, a show stopper of a feast! Reading your ingredients I know I will like this, you've pretty much summed up my childhood there. Yum.

And ShaoXing wine! I don't think I can live without this anymore.

Cheryl :)

foodwink April 18, 2010 at 12:38 AM  

Hi Amy - Thanks! And so much meat :)

Hi Celia - Thanks a lot. Both - an hour in the freezer to put it to sleep (I hope), followed by some knife work to dissect it.

Hi SSG - Chicken sounds great too! Similar to "loh mai gai" or glutinous rice with chicken.

Hi Simon - It's a HK dish - As HK is a major consumer of seafood, it no surprise that the chefs there come up with the wackiest (and tastiest) ideas of cooking seafood.

Hi suze - Hehe, glad to hear that.

Hi Jen - Just don't look them in the eyes. Or get someone else to do it for you :)

Hi Y - Thanks :) The ingredients are my favs too. Especially the combination of dried shrimps and lap cheong.

Hi Belle - Thanks a lot. Sorry to hear that you're allergic to crabs :( But I'm sure the recipe would work well with other shellfish or even chicken like SSG has suggested.

Hi Phuoc - Thanks! Please do try the recipe in between experiments and thesis writing.

Hi Linda - It's a great bargain, isn't it? And hope you'll try this soon.

Hi Trissa - Take it as my revenge for all the European travel pics on your blog! I got them from the Fish Market in Pyrmont. Would be a crime not to take the crab home.

Hi Cheryl - Thanks a lot :) Haha, love ShaoXing wine too! Especially for braising.

mr. pineapple man April 29, 2010 at 12:26 AM  

yay for crab!! your pictures are so professional! I'm impressed!

foodwink April 29, 2010 at 6:39 AM  

Thanks mr pineapple man!

About foodwink

foodwink is written by a Sydneysider to catalog memories related to food, travel and anything in between. Email: foodwink [@] g m a i l [.] c o m.

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 2.5 Australia License.

Creative Commons License

Cool People

  © 2010 copyright foodwink. photoblog template edited by foodwink.

Back to TOP