Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Black Star Pastry, Newtown

Black Star Pastry Newtown

Strawberry and Watermelon Cake and Death of the Ninja.

Contrary to popular belief, Adriano Zumbo is not the only pâtissier in town. Personally, I also admire the talented Y aka lemonpi who is featured in this month's Gourmet Traveller Magazine (see no 7) and whose beautiful creations I could only hope to try someday. Go have a read. She is mentioned at no 7. And as part of my quest to eat my body weight in desserts over the weekend (there must be a profound reason why it's 4-day long), I have developed a newfound appreciation for Christopher Thé - former pastry chef of three-hat restaurant Claude’s.

Joining me in embracing my shameless gluttony are The Engineer and friend of 13 years Miss Flower. We decide to start off with something savoury and work our way through to their limited but enticing range of desserts. I really like The Engineer's choice of Lamb Shank and Red Wine Pie. Good flavours, lots of juicy lamb shank meat and affordable at $7.50 each. And yes, we swap dishes like all elderly couples do. My Leek and Goat Cheese Tart ($5) is pretty good too - wish there was more leek but the pastry is perfectly flaky. Miss Flower also enjoys her Mushroom Pie. Unlike The Engineer, she has the choice of not letting me try it.

Black Star Pastry Newtown

This brings me to the real star at Black Star Pastry - Strawberry and Watermelon Cake ($6). The interplay between the slightly crunchy watermelon slices and the creamy dacquoise works wonderfully. The strawberries and blueberry provide the acidic contrast, and the pistachio nuts contributing to the textural contrast. As for the dried flowers, they make the cake pretty.

Other choices are well received too. The pyramid-shaped Lemon Meringue ($6) has a refreshing twist in the form of encassed Basil Jelly. Unlike my companions, I quite enjoy the Pear and Quince cake ($4) with half a dried fig and pistachio nuts. Again, dried flowers make the cake pretty. The Engineer and I also share a croissant and Miss Flower takes a cinnamon roll home. The only letdown is the Rose and Lilac Macaroon (sic) which is an interesting concept but way too sweet for our liking ($3.50).

Black Star Pastry Newtown

We then decide to celebrate such an enjoyable meal by killing a gingerbread ninja. They come in two varieties - naked (no choc coating) and dressed. We choose the latter because we are not quite ready to commit horrible crime against a naked one (yet). The ninja is cute to look at - for about two seconds - before The Engineer performs the execution with Swiss precision.

BLACK STAR PASTRY
277 Australia Street,
Newtown 2045
02 9557 8656

Black Star Pastry on Urbanspoon

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

12 comment(s):

Sydney Shop Girl April 7, 2010 at 8:30 AM  

I've always wanted to try Black Star! Especially the ginger ninjas and the watermelon cake.

I will make it a point to get there soon.

SSG xxx

Celia @ Fig Jam and Lime Cordial April 7, 2010 at 10:34 AM  

Woman, you are killing me.. :D

I adore all the lovely cakes covered in dried flowers - very Mad Hatter's Tea Party, don't you think?

Celia

Simon Leong April 7, 2010 at 12:10 PM  

noice photographic display of yummy goodness. Zumbo who? hehe :-) watermelon cake is one of my favourites from black star pastry.

joey@forkingaroundsydney April 7, 2010 at 12:59 PM  

Love the food here, but not the seating arrangements ....

missklicious April 7, 2010 at 6:00 PM  

Those cakes look really lovely! The dried flowers add a nice touch too.

Love the ninja gingerbread man! hehe

Phuoc'n Delicious April 7, 2010 at 7:52 PM  

I gotta get myself to this cafe! I knew there was something I had to check out near Newtown station but forgot what.. I will try this out soon :)

That ninja probably deserved the killing anyway, he looked evil..

KittyCate April 7, 2010 at 7:53 PM  

I am definitely heading here soon, looks amazing! x

Bean Sprout's Cafe April 8, 2010 at 9:57 AM  

I am going to have the lamb shank pie in half an hour..hehe

Cotton Socks April 8, 2010 at 12:19 PM  

the flowers really do make it look special !
that pop of purple really caught my eye.

poor ninja!!! hahaha i'd feel guilty. he is cute!!!

Y April 10, 2010 at 7:05 AM  

Oh ahh thanks for the mention! :D

Love your pictures. I haven't been back to Black Star in awhile. Need to return at some point, especially since I haven't tried their savoury stuff yet.

foodwink April 11, 2010 at 3:30 PM  

Hi SSG - Please do. I adore the watermelon cake.

Hi Celia - Hehe, take it as my revenge for the hunger inducing pictures on your blog.

Hi Simon - Thanks. ZUmbo who? Zumbo the man whose cakes are making me fat :)

Hi Missklicious - Thanks for dropping by. The flowers are pretty to look at, but do not add much to the flavours methinks.

Hi Phuoc - Hai, please kill another one of those evil ninjas when you get to Black Star. Domo arigato.

Hi KittyCate - Please do. I expect a detailed review on your blog :D

Hi BSC - So, how was it? Did you like it? Thanks for dropping by!

Hi Cotton Socks - Thanks for your comment. But no, the ninja deserved to die.

Hi Y - The pleasure is mine! And congrats again. I adore the lamb shank pie the most of all the savoury stuff, so please try that!

Oli May 5, 2010 at 12:20 PM  

Your food photography n reports are beautiful. You really sold me on Black Star Pastry :) Keep up the great work!

About foodwink

foodwink is written by a Sydneysider to catalog memories related to food, travel and anything in between. Email: foodwink [@] g m a i l [.] c o m.

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 2.5 Australia License.

Creative Commons License

Cool People

  © 2010 copyright foodwink. photoblog template edited by foodwink.

Back to TOP