Monday, March 8, 2010

Le POM, Le Quail and Le Award



Hello everyone. I'm finally back on Australian soil after several weeks away. I have plenty of overseas food memories to share with you, but thought I should get this post out first. That is, before pomegranates (hereinafter "POM") go completely out of season.

Firstly, a confession - I've never tried a POM until recently. My only previous exposure to it was a clip of Nigella Lawson saying "This will change your life forever" (sensually, of course) before teaching her viewers the most effective way of extracting seeds from a POM. By bashing the poor fruit with a wooden spoon. Like a mad woman.

Mad bashing is not the only way to do it though. A guy called Google taught me to submerge the fruit in water before separating the seeds from the husk and membranes. I find the latter reduces the likelihood of pomegranate juices shooting in all directions.

The extracted seeds are served with pan-seared quails that have been marinated with cumin powder, coriander powder, fresh chillies and the usual salt and pepper. The quails are slightly charred because I got distracted during the cooking process. Sorry, I'm only human.

I also make a sauce by deglazing the pan with plum sauce and pomegranate juice. The combination works quite well and The Engineer (previously Mr Foodwink) and I finish all six quails in no time.

The remaining seeds are blended and then strained for juice. Light, refreshing and having a good balance of sweetness and sourness, The Engineer and I have developed a new found love for POM juice.



And finally, thanks to the lovely Renita of The Raw Noodle, I've received an Over The Top Blog Award (cue fireworks please). This also means that I have to answer 35 questions with ONE word each. Ok, I cheated a little.

1.Where is your cell phone? Around
2.Your hair? Straight
3.Your mother? Intelligent
4.Your father? Respected
5.Your favourite food? Egg-related
6.Your dream last night? None
7.Your favourite drink? Soymilk
8.Your dream/goal? Happiness
9.What room are you in? Livingroom
10.Your hobby? Eating
11.Your fear? Underachieving
12.Where do you want to be in six years? Contentment
13.Where were you last night? Makan@Alice
14.Something that you aren’t? Patient
15.Muffins? TheSource (a cafe in Mosman)
16.Wish list item? ArneJacobsen
17.Where did you grow up? Ipoh
18.Last thing you did? Eating
19.What are you wearing? Shorts
20.Your TV? 60Minutes
21.Your pets? Jolly
22.Friends? Karaoke-crazed
23.Your life? Blessed
24.Your mood? Calm
25.Missing someone? Sometimes
26.Vehicle? Volkswagen
27.Something you’re not wearing? Glasses
28.Your favourite store? SABA
29.Your favourite colour? Snow
30.When was the last time you laughed? Today
31.Last time you cried? Unstoppable
32.Your best friend? Unconditional
33.One place that I go to over and over? Bakery
34.One person who emails me regularly? Spam
35.Favourite place to eat? Cafe

Now, I would like to pass the award to the following talented bloggers. Please head over to their blogs to witness their over-the-topness. 

Foodiepop
Fat Belly Club
Sydney Shop Girl
Missklicious
Phuoc'n Delicious
Fig Jam and Lime Cordial

Over to you, boys and girls.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

13 comment(s):

Sydney Shop Girl March 8, 2010 at 9:34 AM  

Challenge duly noted, foodwink :-) You have given me some respite from writing my paper.

I love the POM photos. Isn't Mr Google the best :-P

OohLookBel March 8, 2010 at 1:00 PM  

I've decided that I *love* cooking with pomegranate - they make everything look good.

SK March 8, 2010 at 1:49 PM  

Looks like you had a great time in NZ!! Have you tried pomegranate yogurt? I'm hooked on that stuff.

Phuoc'n Delicious March 8, 2010 at 3:15 PM  

I remember having pomegranates ages ago (more than 10 years perhaps), long before they became popular. But now I don't have them that often, and I can't remember how I use to have them. I think we just popped them and getting squirted with the juices was pretty fun. But what an interesting combo of the quail and pomegranate; definately have to try that out since I love pairing fruit and meat together - the best has got to be watermelon and lamb! *drools*

I love your photos; always bright and colourful.

And thank you so much for the award! Happy days...

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella March 8, 2010 at 10:25 PM  

I once tried the Nigella thwacking pomegranate method and I ended up ruining my husband shirt lol. Not recommended unless you have a wipeable apron on!

Kitchen Butterfly March 9, 2010 at 6:15 AM  

I did the google guy's under the water thing....worked well!

Kitchen Butterfly March 9, 2010 at 6:15 AM  

And a lovely plate of food and set of photos.........

Celia @ Fig Jam and Lime Cordial March 9, 2010 at 7:53 AM  

Thank you so much for thinking of me! That was very kind of you...

Nigella, gotta love her, but I think your description is spot on, she does indeed pound that pomegranate like a nutter! :)

foodwink March 9, 2010 at 9:34 PM  

Hi Sydney Shop Girl - Good luck with the paper (eikk!) and thanks for responding to the questions so quickly on your blog (which you know I adore).

Hi Belle - I agree! Such gorgeous colour to bright up any dish.

Hi SK - I've never had pomegranate yogurt. Do you make it yourself (seeds + plain yogurt?)?

Hi Phuoc - That makes you 10 years ahead of yours truly :D Thanks for your lovely comments and I look forward to reading your answers.

Hi Lorraine - Tee hee, that's why I asked Google!

Hi Kitchen Butterfly - Thanks for your lovely comments :)

Hi Celia - No worries! I adore your blog.

Cotton Socks March 10, 2010 at 3:43 AM  

i love pom too!!
i posted a salad recipe with pom in it last week.
its soo good
nomnomnomnomnomnom

chocolatesuze March 11, 2010 at 4:33 PM  

heh heh i love mr google. he's my best friend. the pomegranate and quail sounds fantastic!

Anonymous March 11, 2010 at 8:56 PM  

I haven't tried cooking with pomegranate but they look good with any dish. Congrats with the well deserved award!

foodwink March 12, 2010 at 12:56 AM  

Hi Cotton Socks - I reckon pom goes well with anything and everything. nomnomnomnomnomnom ...

Hi Suze - Noods would be jealous when he finds out. Non?

Hi Ellie - Thanks <3

About foodwink

foodwink is written by a Sydneysider to catalog memories related to food, travel and anything in between. Email: foodwink [@] g m a i l [.] c o m.

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 2.5 Australia License.

Creative Commons License

Cool People

  © 2010 copyright foodwink. photoblog template edited by foodwink.

Back to TOP