Friday, January 29, 2010

10 Favourite Food Memories from Japan - from Kaiseki to Yoshuku


Over the next few posts, I will share with you some of my favourite food memories from Japan. Starting with my kaiseki experience in Hakone and concluding with my encounter with Iron Chef French Hiroyuki Sakai in Tokyo.

10.  Modern Kaiseki Ryori (Japanese Degustation)

No trip to Japan is complete without staying at an onsen ryokan or Japanese style hot springs inn. We really enjoyed our experience at Aura Tachibana in Hakone - spacious traditional Japanese room and warm, welcoming service. And the food? There's sooo much of it. Both the 10-course kaiseki dinner (above) and 3-course breakfast (below) were scrumptious and prepared with utmost care. Couldn't have expected less from a chef who likes to think that "a meal cooked carefully is like a flower".




9. Daikanyama 150-0034

Upmarket boutiques, quirky cafes, larger-than-life murals and tree-lined streets. Those are the sights of Daikanyama, which is touted as one of the trendiest districts in Tokyo. So if wish to take a break from the busy shopping districts of Ginza and Shinjuku, spare half a day here to explore the slower and quieter side of Tokyo. Cou Cou sells all things girly kawaii for 315 yen each. Cafe de Barquette (9-3 Sarugakucho, Shibuya-ku, Tokyo) serves a good cuppa with some basic but delicious sandwiches.



8. Say O-mu-Rai-Su with Me

Yoshuku or Japanese style western food  is popular among the younger generation who crave for that connection with the western world. There's the ham-baa-gaa (hamburger steak) served on a sizzling plate. And, my favourite, the o-mu-rai-su or Japanese style fried rice (rai-su) wrapped in oozey omelette (omu) and topped with demi glace sauce. I could eat this everyday.



More food memories from Japan in the next installment. In the meantime, what are your favourite overseas food memories?

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

7 comment(s):

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella January 29, 2010 at 12:31 PM  

*sigh* posts like these are why I adore Japan! :D Looks like you had a great time!

Iron Chef Shellie January 29, 2010 at 1:16 PM  

I'm sitting here deciding what to have for lunch.. I decided against sushi cos I've already had it twice this week.. but now seeing your post, I think I might be getting sushi!! :P

Shanks January 29, 2010 at 1:36 PM  

Hey, I just ran into your site and love your photos!! Can't wait for the Sakai post ;)

missklicious January 30, 2010 at 9:53 AM  

Gorgeous photos - I can't wait to go back to Japan.

Love your blog by the way!

foodwink January 31, 2010 at 12:17 AM  

Hi Lorraine - I did have a great time in Japan and can't wait to go back! Osaka and Kyoto next.

Hi Iron Chef Shellie - Tee hee, at least sushi is "healthy". Strangely, I didn't have much sushi when I was in Japan - got distracted by other more interesting options!

Hi Shanks - thanks for your kind comments!

Hi missklicious - thanks very much! I can't wait to go back to Japan as well. There's so much to .. uhm, eat.

OohLookBel January 31, 2010 at 12:29 AM  

If the rest of your trip is anything like what you've shown so far, then I can't wait to see it!

foodwink January 31, 2010 at 8:24 AM  

Hi Belle - Thanks a lot! I love Japan and made sure that I tried a variety of Japanese cuisine while I was there.

Can't wait to go back!

About foodwink

foodwink is written by a Sydneysider to catalog memories related to food, travel and anything in between. Email: foodwink [@] g m a i l [.] c o m.

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 2.5 Australia License.

Creative Commons License

Cool People

  © 2010 copyright foodwink. photoblog template edited by foodwink.

Back to TOP