Sunday, February 14, 2010

CNY Means ... (2/5) - Going Vegetarian



Chinese New Year means that I get to enjoy a simple vegetarian breakfast with my family - a rare occasion because we live in three different countries.

This spread of vegetarian dishes is what my family will have for breakfast on Chinese New Year's Day. According to my mom, it is a simple token of sacrifice to various Chinese gods for their protection the year before.

But for me, this is no sacrifice at all - it is my favourite meal of the festive season. Stir-fried vermicelli with soy sauce and cabbage. Vegetarian barbequed pork. Mock goose and chicken meat made from bean curd skins - first marinated, then folded into layers and deep finally fried. Vegetable curry of beans, eggplant and cabbage. And my favourite, deep-fried tofu.

Same earthy but delicious dishes. Year in year out.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

5 comment(s):

joey@forkingaroundsydney February 14, 2010 at 9:50 AM  

Super! Happy Year of the Tiger!

grace February 14, 2010 at 1:07 PM  

aww that was such a nice blog post. yeah I love chinese new year because it's all about family... it's just a day to chill and enjoy catching up with the most important people in your life :)

Sydney Shop Girl February 14, 2010 at 2:37 PM  

Happy New Year!!

Anonymous February 14, 2010 at 5:13 PM  

Enjoy, that all looks so delicious! I haven't had mock meat from bean curd in sooo long! :)

Have a wonderful 15 days celebrating with your fam - that really is what CNY is all about, isn't it?

Best, Celia

foodwink February 16, 2010 at 1:36 AM  

Hi Joey - Thanks for your comment. Roarrrr :)

Hi grace - Thanks <3 Nothing is more important than family - and I wish I could see my family more often. Hope you are enjoying CNY so far :)

Hi Sydney Shop Girl - Thanks for your comment. And happy chinese new year for the 1000th time, haha.

Hi Celia - I love mock meat from bean curd! My favourite is mock goose, which is a specialty of my mom. I just had a good fix yesterday, hehe.

Hope you're enjoying CNY with your family <3

About foodwink

foodwink is written by a Sydneysider to catalog memories related to food, travel and anything in between. Email: foodwink [@] g m a i l [.] c o m.

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 2.5 Australia License.

Creative Commons License

Cool People

  © 2010 copyright foodwink. photoblog template edited by foodwink.

Back to TOP