Tuesday, February 16, 2010

CNY Means ... (4/5) - Lou Sang



Chinese New Year means Lou Sang! Oh, yes.

My mom's version of Lou Sang is a delicious concoction of jelly fish (raw salmon is the more popular option) surrounded by piles of finely shredded ginger flowers, shallots, pickled vegetables, crunchy deep-fried bread stick and chilies. A sweet and sour plum sauce completes the dish.

Then it's "lou" or tossing time. Family and friends gather around the dish to toss the ingredients with chopsticks. It's a messy process but it is believed that the higher the ingredients and chopsticks are lifted, the better the fortune or "sang" is in the coming year.

Shouting "lou sang" during the tossing process is not compulsory but highly recommended to improve good fortune.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

5 comment(s):

joey@forkingaroundsydney February 16, 2010 at 7:34 AM  

I'm not Chinese enough to know this dish. For shame! :-)

Sydney Shop Girl February 16, 2010 at 9:59 AM  

Sigh, I missed this dish this year. I remember once having a grapefruit version. It started my passion for red grapefruit.

Anonymous February 16, 2010 at 4:07 PM  

Sadly, I'm with Joey, I didn't know about this tradition either, although I LOVE cold jellyfish. Thanks for enlightening me! :)

Howard February 16, 2010 at 4:35 PM  

Despite being chinese, I've never had this dish before! I'm missing out.

foodwink February 24, 2010 at 8:51 PM  

Hi Joey - I think this dish is more Malaysian than Chinese. Your mom (I remember that she's Malaysian) should have heard about this dish.

Hi Sydney Shop Girl - Yes! I've had a similar version too. This one's made by my mom and it's (of course) the best!

Hi Celia - It seems that Lou Sang or Yee Sang is a dish that is more popular among Malaysians and Singaporeans.

Hi Howard - Ooooh, you must try it! Trust me, it is absolutely delicious and provides so much fun during the tossing process.

P/S: Sorry for the late reply, everyone. Internet access has been scarce :(

About foodwink

foodwink is written by a Sydneysider to catalog memories related to food, travel and anything in between. Email: foodwink [@] g m a i l [.] c o m.

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 2.5 Australia License.

Creative Commons License

Cool People

  © 2010 copyright foodwink. photoblog template edited by foodwink.

Back to TOP