Monday, February 15, 2010

CNY Means ... (3/5) - Reconnecting with Loved Ones



Chinese New Year means a treasured opportunity to reconnect with loved ones.

These pictures are of my maternal grandparents and a master list of phone numbers in the house they once lived. My grandfather, affectionately known as "Ah Kong", passed away when I was 12 years old. My grandmother or "Ah Ma" followed some ten years later.

Sadly, I never really got to know both of them. But every time I stepped into their house, I could feel that their spirits are still alive through their children (14 in total, some given away), grandchildren and great grandchildren.

As part of family tradition, relative members gather at Ah Kong's and Ah Ma's house on the second day of Chinese New Year, each household bringing a dish to share. It's a day of eating, drinking. chatting and perhaps a little gossiping.

All trying to catch up on lost time and reconnect as a family.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

3 comment(s):

joey@forkingaroundsydney February 15, 2010 at 11:00 AM  

A good time to remember family members long gone ....

Anonymous February 15, 2010 at 8:16 PM  

My Ah-Mah passed away a decade ago, Ah-Kong shortly after that. As I've lived in Australia all my life, I didn't know Ah-Kong all that well, but I have amazing memories of Ah-Mah, and it's nice to be reminded of them. Thanks Foodwink... Celia

foodwink February 24, 2010 at 8:53 PM  

Hi Joey - Thanks for your comment

Hi Celia - Thanks for sharing your lovely memory of your Ah-Mah and Ah-Kong (are you teochew?).

A reminder that we should treaure our time with our loved ones who are still with us.

About foodwink

foodwink is written by a Sydneysider to catalog memories related to food, travel and anything in between. Email: foodwink [@] g m a i l [.] c o m.

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 2.5 Australia License.

Creative Commons License

Cool People

  © 2010 copyright foodwink. photoblog template edited by foodwink.

Back to TOP