Sunday, February 21, 2010

New Zealand (3/12) - Starry Starry Night

lake tekapo star gazing

A starry starry night in Lake Tekapo. Can you spot the Southern Cross and its two Pointers, Alpha and Beta Centauri?

High number of clear nights and low light pollution make Lake Tekapo a perfect place for an astronomical observatory. This picture was taken with the professional assistance from the good people operating the Earth and Sky Stargazing Tour.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

7 comment(s):

Kristy Sayer-Jones @ Southern In Law February 21, 2010 at 11:16 AM  

wowww.. this is incredible.

Renita February 22, 2010 at 5:28 AM  

Hi!! I stumbled across your blog and really enjoyed it! I've left you an award at my blog, drop by to pick it up! :)

Celia @ Fig Jam and Lime Cordial February 22, 2010 at 7:38 AM  

Starry starry night...paint your palate blue and grey...

Beautiful photo, thank you for sharing!

Phuoc'n Delicious February 23, 2010 at 3:34 PM  

WOW! What a magnificent shot! I could imagine camping and this is what I'll see above of me. I wonder where we would able to find a place like this in Sydney...

foodwink February 24, 2010 at 8:24 PM  

Hi Kristy - Isn't it? It actually took me ages to capture this shot (long exposure required) on a very very cold night. But it was well worth it!

Hi Renita - Thanks for your lovely comments and for the award (my first!).

I'm still on holiday with scarce Internet access. I'll pick it up in a week's time if you don't mind :)

Hi Celia - Thanks for dropping by :)

Hi Phuoc - Thanks a lot! I'm not sure either - I don't remember seeing that many stars in Sydney.

lindsey clare March 23, 2010 at 4:58 PM  

ok.... wow. my first visit to your blog and i am very impressed :)

foodwink March 24, 2010 at 10:20 PM  

Thanks linsey!

About foodwink

foodwink is written by a Sydneysider to catalog memories related to food, travel and anything in between. Email: foodwink [@] g m a i l [.] c o m.

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 2.5 Australia License.

Creative Commons License

Cool People

  © 2010 copyright foodwink. photoblog template edited by foodwink.

Back to TOP