Wednesday, February 17, 2010

CNY Means ... (5/5) - Reliving Childhood Memories



Chinese New Year means a time to relive childhood memories.

This yum cha restaurant is unassuming to unsuspecting passersby. It is not the best in Ipoh, where I grew up, nor the closest to our home. But it is a family favourite.

It is as if it was yesterday that my father, sister and I were having breakfast here several times a week, before dropping my sister off at her school. Then it would be my turn after travelling all the way to another part of the town. This routine lasted for a few years until my sister got her driving license at the age of 17.

The restaurant has not changed much over the years. And every time we return, the familiar faces of the workers at this restaurant bring warmth to my heart and a smile to my face.

And this concludes this Chinese New Year series, which I hope you have enjoyed reading. I am still overseas at the moment but let's take a trip to New Zealand from tomorrow.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

3 comment(s):

Sydney Shop Girl February 17, 2010 at 8:42 AM  

Oh wow - you're from Ipoh? My mother was born and raised there. What lovely memories of home and your parents.

I love how dimsum in Malaysia is just a little different to what we get in Australia, more of a Hong Kong influence here.

grace February 20, 2010 at 10:28 PM  

aww yeah food has this way of bringing back lovely memories:)

especially yum cha for breakfast... so so good

foodwink February 24, 2010 at 8:42 PM  

Hi Sydney Shop Girl - Great to know that your mom is from Ipoh too! I guess that makes you a half-Ipohan :)

Hope your mom is not missing the delicious Ipoh food too much - bean sprout chicken, yong tau foo etc etc

Hi grace - I know. I revisited this place again during my most recent trip to Ipoh. Loved it!

About foodwink

foodwink is written by a Sydneysider to catalog memories related to food, travel and anything in between. Email: foodwink [@] g m a i l [.] c o m.

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 2.5 Australia License.

Creative Commons License

Cool People

  © 2010 copyright foodwink. photoblog template edited by foodwink.

Back to TOP